[Live-devel] Would like to know more about "audio-MPEG4-GENERIC-2"

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Dec 12 12:50:06 PST 2003

>    You said the output file "video-MP4V-ES-1" careated by openRTSP is a
> raw video. what does this mean? what kind of format is "video-MP4V-ES-1"?
> Isn't it a mpeg-4 encoded file?

It's a file that contains MPEG-4 encoded video.  However, it's not a
'MPEG-4 file'.  I.e., it's not a ".mp4"-format file, as defined in the
MPEG-4 'Systems' specification.  Files in that format contain not just raw
video (or audio) data, but also extra information about the data track(s)
in the file.  (So, for example, such a file could contain audio and video
data together.)

It would be possible to modify  "openRTSP" so that it outputs MPEG-4 format
files (because this file format is similar to QuickTime files, which
"openRTSP" already supports).  However, this project has not yet been
requested by paying consulting clients, so it's currently low priority for
us.  If, however, your company is interested in providing funding for this
project, please let me know (by separate email; not on thie mailing list).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>