[Live-devel] Basic question

Bill Russell bill at odic.com
Wed Nov 12 15:42:23 PST 2003

At 09:01 AM 11/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>You should note, though, that having a JPEG frame fragmented over ~35 RTP
>packets can be problematic.  Depending on how smart or dumb the receiving
>implementation is, the loss of just a single packet can lead to the loss
>of the entire frame.

Isn't the idea of RTP that the server will throttle back on the packet rate
based on client packet-loss reports? Are you recommending using smaller
JPEG frames?

What I'm doing currently with my JPEG camera is using UDP with a RTP-like
packet loss report from the receiving client. This client will throw away
frames with a single bad packet as well but works quite well.

Do you know if quicktime will receive JPEG video from Live?

>(Note that the LIVE.COM JPEG/RTP receiving implementation is currently
>'dumb'; all packets of a fragmented JPEG packet must be received in order
>for the frame to be passed back to the client.)

Does this apply to MPEG4, or does it compensate for missing packets?

- Bill