[Live-devel] Basic question

Bill Russell bill at odic.com
Thu Nov 13 12:04:49 PST 2003

At 01:55 PM 11/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>>Isn't the idea of RTP that the server will throttle back on the packet
>>rate based on client packet-loss reports?
>
>Well, a server certainly *may* do this (if it's programmed to do so).
Ross -
So you're saying that Live doesn't do this and that's why you recommend
using small frames. Currently, my camera uses bandwidth throttling and I
have successfully been using it with VGA images up to 50KBytes in size at
up to 30fps. Do you think Live would be able to achieve close to this
performance streaming JPEG to Quicktime on a 44 MHZ embedded (ARM7) system
where I currently do it using a custom RTP-like server.

I'm just trying to decide if I could replace my current JPEG server with
Live or just use Live for the MPEG-4 server (for that, any level of
performance will be acceptable).

Bill