[Live-devel] MPEG video artifacts

Florian Winter fw at graphics.cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Nov 25 14:39:27 PST 2003

hi!

when I try to stream MPEG files using testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer or
testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer
as a source and

testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver | mplayer -

for receiving and playing the data, I always get a lot of video
artifacts. if I play the stream using mplayer's RTP
implementation

mplayer sdp://testMPEG1or2Video.sdp

the result is much better, but I still get artifacts.

I am using the 2003-10-08 release of the LIVE.COM rtp library, and have
tried various different MPEG files and always get
the same results. One of the test files was a .vob file, ripped from a
DVD, another one was a recording from a DVB
card using vdr. I also tried files with very low resolution and bitrate,
but the artifacts didn't go away.
i also tried both multicast and unicast, with the same result.

am I doing something wrong, or is that normal with RTP? why does mplayer
receive the stream in much better quality
than the testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver? what files did you use for testing?