[Live-devel] MPEG video artifacts

Luca Abeni lucabe72 at email.it
Wed Nov 26 07:54:53 PST 2003

Hi Ross,

[...]
> Interesting...  How does this interact with the 'traditional' (and more
> portable) method of setting a socket's buffer size: calling
> "setsockopt(socket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, ...)" (which is how
> "increaseReceiveBufferTo()" is implemented)?
Sorry, I was not clear enough... Of course to set the socket buffer you
have to call setsockopt(socket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, ...), but there
is a maximum limit that you can set (for security reasons, I think).
And this limit is given by /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max. In other words,
if you do not change /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max, then you will not be
able to increase the receiving buffer very much. I think that when you
select a too high value setsockopt(socket, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, ...)
fails silently, but I do not remember precisely.

In any case, since to receive DVD VOBs I have to increase the socket
buffer to very high values, I also change /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max (I
know, this could be a waste in resources, but it solves my playback
problems ;-).

				Luca