[Live-devel] testOnDemandRTSPServer v.s. QuickTime

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Nov 27 18:25:21 PST 2003

>I built liveMedia on my DELL GX150 with RedHat 7.3 and tried to use
>testOnDemandRTSPServer to stream MP3 to QuickTime player. However, QT just
>updated its scroll bar and time information as if it has received and
>decoded the file, but there is no sound at all!

There is a known bug in QuickTime Player that prevents it from playing
MP3/RTP streams.  (Note that this is only a problem with MP3 - it will play
MPEG-1 or 2 layer I or layer II audio RTP streams, MPEG-4 audio RTP
streams, and MPEG-1,2 or 4 video streams, but not layer III (i.e., MP3)
audio RTP streams.)

>For RealOne player, it just reported " This server is not using a
>recognized protocol". Why?

I don't know.  It seems that RealOne Player may also be buggy.

>I thought both thison-demand server and qt, realone are all RTSP compatible.

They are, but the players sometimes have bugs that prevent them from
properly playing some streams.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>