[Live-devel] Problem - Realtime audio transmission via wireless lans - FEC recovery

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Aug 18 23:42:56 PDT 2004

>i'm engaged in a project related to realtime audio (mp3) transmission via
>802.11b WLAN
>
>in the project, certain part of the job is related to recovery of lost
>packets. we plan to solve this problem through FEC. as u know, REALTIME
>multimedia transmission requires less latency, so ARQ is not applicable.
>
>the initial plan is to implement RFC 2733
>
>anyone who also dedicated in this area? or can give me some clues about this?

You should be able to use the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code for this,
although it doesn't currently include support for RFC 2733 (XOR parity
FEC).  You would need to write your own "RTPSink" subclass for this.  (As
always, though, if you are interested in paying to have LIVE.COM develop
this for your project, just let me know.)

I also suggest that you use the "audio/mpa-robust" (RFC 3119) payload
format - rather than RFC 2250 - as your base payload format.  This will
reduce the effects of packet loss - in case the FEC is unable to recover
all lost packets.  This payload format is fully supported by the LIVE.COM
code.  See <http://www.live.com/rtp-mp3/> for more information.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>