[Live-devel] testMPEG4VideoStreamer and QuickTime Player 6.3 on Windows

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Aug 20 12:44:24 PDT 2004

>¡¡¡¡ I have a problem with MPEG4 video streaming. I use
>testMPEG4VideoStreamer with a
>test.m4v file. I want to watch the video on my QuickTime Player 6.3 on
>Windows, it
>does not work. But VLC works nice.
>         Does anybody know about this problem?

Have you tried the most recent version (6.5) of QuickTime Player?

If that still doesn't work, then the 'problem' is with QuickTime, not with
the LIVE.COM code.  QuickTime (and thus QuickTime Player) does not support
as much of the MPEG-4 video specification as VLC does.  In particular,
QuickTime supports only the MPEG-4 "Simple Object Type".   (Your video is
apparently using a form of MPEG-4 that QuickTime does not support.)

>  How can I solve it?

If you can't change your MPEG-4 video encoder to produce MPEG-4 video that
QuickTime supports, then you won't be able to use QuickTime Player to play
it.  Just use VLC instead.  IMHO, it is a superior media player anyway.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>