[Live-devel] mplayer transcoding

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Dec 8 17:16:17 PST 2004

>I saw on the web page for mplayer that live.com now enables you to receive
>and play standards-compliant RTP audio/video streams. Do you know if
>mplayer/mencoder also allows you to transcode audio RTP streams?

Susanne,

If by "transcode RTP streams" you mean:
         1/ receive a RTP stream (that uses one particular codec (and
payload format)) from somewhere
         2/ transcode the audio payload into another codec
         3/ resend the RTP stream somewhere else, using the second codec
(and payload format)
then, no, MPlayer can't do this.

However, you could, in principle, write your own application using the
"LIVE.COM Streaming Media" libraries that does this.  You will need to
write your own code that does 2/ (the actual transcoding), but there is
lots of support in the libraries for 1/ and 3/.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>