[Live-devel] About RTPTranslator in playCommon

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Feb 5 08:14:55 PST 2004

At 02:24 AM 2/5/04, you wrote:

>Hi,
>I want to know why we have add RTPTranslator in playCommon code.

This was for an (otherwise undocumented) feature of "openRTSP" and
"playSIP" that we implemented for a customer about a year ago.  It allows
an incoming RTP stream (initiated by "openRTSP" or "playSIP") to be
re-injected into a separate, remote 'Darwin Streaming Server', from which
(potentially multiple) clients could then read the stream.  I.e., it allows
the incoming RTP stream to be 'replicated', at will, using a separate
'Darwin Streaming Server' (RTSP server).

The implementation of this feature is currently rather limited; at present,
it works only for sessions that contain a single PCM or GSM audio
stream.  (This is because the customer wanted to use this to replicate SIP
telephony sessions.)  Also, the "RTPTranslator" class allows for the
possibility of translating (transcoding) between codecs, but at present it
just implements a plain copy.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>