[Live-devel] unicast - porting of Live Medea code to Symbian

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Feb 6 03:04:54 PST 2004

>We are trying to interface Live Medea code with our own unicast sockets
>interface. For that we want to eliminate all the multi cast portion of
>the code in Live Medea code. Can you please suggest how we can go about
>this?

If you don't plan to use IP multicast at all in your application(s) (that
will use the LIVE.COM code), then I don't recommend removing any of the
existing code.  Instead, just leave the existing multicast support as is,
but just don't use it.

However, if you really want to remove multicast functionality from the code
(e.g., because your TCP/IP implementation doesn't define
"IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP" or "IP_DROP_MEMBERSHIP"), then you can do this simply
by modifying the functions
         socketJoinGroup
         socketLeaveGroup
         socketJoinGroupSSM
         socketLeaveGroupSSM
(in "groupsock/GroupsockHelper.cpp") so that they do nothing but return
'False'.

One other thing you will need to do, however, is change the implementation
of the "ourSourceAddressForMulticast()" function to (somehow) return the
computer's own IP address.  (Despite this function's name, it is sometimes
used even by unicast code.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>