[Live-devel] AmiNET110

Bryn Reeves breeves at avantisworld.com
Thu Feb 12 10:44:43 PST 2004

Cavalera Claudio wrote:
>>> I thought that in theory RTSP could be used over udp. Am i wrong?
>>
>> RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol) is the control channel -
>> it carries commands (play, fast-forward etc) from the client
>> to the server, and returns data like the SDP descriptions to
>> the client. RTSP always uses a point-to-point TCP connection.
>
> I strongly agree to the point-to-point matter but RFC 2326 states
> that any protocol could be used under RTSP since it implements
> reliability in itself. Probably openRTSP does not implement it but I
> think that an URL beginning with rtspu:// exist to identify cases
> with unreliable transport. However I myself don't consider this thing
> useful, maybe it can be used when you have to walk across some
> strange firewalls.

Sorry, I should have qualified that. RTSP uses a TCP connection in all
the implementations I've seen, but you're right, the RFC does explicitly
allow it to use other protocols - as Ross says though, "Certainly, noone
ever sends RTSP commands using UDP multicast packets."

> I've been looking for some information about multicast and didn't
> find much. Also the mailing list at multicasttech.com is dead and I'm
> not been able to find updated info on Reliable IP Multicast.

There's a few papers from 2000-2002 on citeseer:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?q=reliable+ip+multicast&submit=Search+Docu
ments&cs=1

Most of the sites I found haven't been updated in quite a while though..

Cheers,

Bryn.