[Live-devel] How to use livemedia to support Unicast?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Feb 19 03:00:32 PST 2004

At 04:35 PM 2/17/04, you wrote:
>     I'm using liveMedia to support Unicast.

You realize, I hope, that both "RTSPClient and "RTSPServer" *already*
supports unicast streaming.

>    1 The RTSP Server doesn't support SEEK opertation

There is no RTSP "SEEK" operation.  Presumably, you mean the RTSP "PLAY"
operation, but specifying a non-zero offset in a "Range:" header.

>     2 I don't know how to make the RTPSource support SEEK operation

This would not be done in "RTPSource" (because that's used by *clients*
only).  Instead, (optional) support for seeking would need to be added to
the "FramedSource" class, which the RTSP server uses to supply outgoing data.

I haven't thought much yet about how much work would be involved to do
this.  (This is not yet a funded task.)

>     3 How to change the RTPSource to read media stream from socket, or
> memory other
>       than local file.

Again, "RTPSource" would not be the class to change.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>