[Live-devel] Problems with MPEG-4 streaming...

Clark N. Taylor cntaylor at ece.ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 16 16:55:49 PST 2004

I have been attempting to stream an MPEG-4 video file using
****./testOnDemandRTSPServer and ./openRTSP.  I have found a couple of
problems, the first is an easy one to fix, while I need help with the
second one.

First, when trying to stream an MPEG-4 video with a fixed frame rate, I
found that the timing was off (it would only serve a frame every 33
seconds, instead of 30 per second). The problem was in the
MPEG4VideoStreamFramer.cpp file, line 388.  Even at a fixed rate,  the
fFrameRate should be set to vop_time_increment_resolution, so the code
now reads:

**      usingSource()->fFrameRate
    = vop_time_increment_resolution; // /(double)fixed_vop_time_increment;

I just looked at the MPEG-4 standard again, and I am pretty sure my
implementation is correct as compared to the old implemetation.

The second problem is more puzzling.  When all I do is stream from
testOnDemand... to openRTSP, the output file from openRTSP is not the
same as the source file for testOnDemand....  I have looked at the
output file, and for some reason it is sending some information at the
beginning of the file twice.  The information sent corresponds to the
VisualObjectSequence and VisualObjectStart headers.  Why they are
transmitted twice is beyond me.  After the dual transmission, everything
else seems to be okay.  Similarly, testOnDemand, when it finds the
VisualObjectSequenceEnd  header, does not send out the last 4 bytes of
information (the end header).

Any help in figuring out why it sends extra information is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Clark N. Taylor