[Live-devel] consistent combinations for streaming

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Jan 23 10:25:35 PST 2004

At 05:36 AM 1/23/04, you wrote:
>I'm testing a little application written with library live.com.
>I want to test different king of features:
>-streaming method: Video On Demand (VOD)

See "testOnDemandRTSPServer" for an example of how to do this.

>or Continuous Streaming (CS)

See the various "test*Streamer" applications.

>-RTSP server built or not

See "testMP3Streamer", "testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer" and
"testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer" for examples of applications where the
RTSP server is optional.

>-multicast or unicast diffusion

The various "test*Streamer" applications (and "vobStreamer") use multicast;
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" uses unicast.

Unicast streaming is usually done using a RTSP server, because it's tricky
to set up the stream parameters (IP addresses, ports, etc.) otherwise.  But
if you insist on trying to adapt the multicast streaming test programs to
use unicast, see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#unicast>.

For multicast streaming, the use of a RTSP server is optional, provided
that all of the stream parameters are known in advance.  However, for some
of the multicast "test*Streamer" applications - e.g.,
"testWAVAudioStreamer" and "testMPEG4VideoStreamer" - the use of a RTSP
server is manditory, because (for these streams) some of the stream
parameters depend on the input file that is being streamed.

>-RTP over TCP or UDP

When using RTSP, it is possible to ask the RTSP server to send the RTP data
back over the RTSP TCP connection, rather than using UDP.  The LIVE.COM
"RTSPClient" implements this - note the "-t" option to "openRTSP".

However, the LIVE.COM "RTSPServer" currently does not implement RTP-over-TCP.

As Claudio Cavalera noted, multicast data cannot be sent using TCP (because
TCP is a one-to-one protocol).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>