[Live-devel] DLLs

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Jul 2 12:56:17 PDT 2004

>I've been using the LiveMedia code now for a couple months.  It's been a GREAT
>help.  For the record, I have the LiveMedia code compiled on Windows as a DLL
>under Visual Studio 2003 so that I can dynamically link to it.  This took a
>little bit of doing and it would be WONDERFUL if the standard LiveMedia
>distribution supported DLL creation.

Personally, I've often found dynamic-linking to be more trouble than it's
worth, especially when I try moving the resulting application binaries to
another system.  (Inevitably there's some library somewhere that's missing,
or has the wrong version.)  In these days of plentiful RAM and disk space,
I usually find it more convenient just to statically link
everything.  (Note also that the LIVE.COM code is aimed largely at
environments like embedded systems, where everything's going to be
statically linked.)

It's possible that sometime in the future the Makefiles for the LIVE.COM
libraries will (if the configuration supports it) generate
dynamically-linkable versions of the libraries, as well as the current
statically-linkable versions.  The "testProgs", however, will probably
always remain statically linked.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>