[Live-devel] RTP timestamp vs presentation timestamp inMPEG2 elementary streams

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Jul 23 14:12:49 PDT 2004

>So, just to clarify (and to make sure I also have this correct):
>
>RTP with payload type 32 (MPEG1/2 video ES): The RTP timestamp represents
>PRESENTATION time of the video frame (thus, multiple RTP packets carrying
>the same video frame will have the same timestamp).
>
>RTP with payload type 33 (MPEG2 TS): The RTP timestamp represents
>TRANSMISSION time of the RTP packet.

I believe that's correct.

>While on this subject, is there any reason I should choose the MPEG2 TS
>payload type over the MPEG1/2 video ES payload type if I just want to
>stream live output from video cameras?  Are there any advantages to one
>over the other?

This depends on a number of factors:
- what format your source data is already in
- what are the capabilities of the receiver (e.g., can it process transport
streams, or just elementary streams)
- whether you want the ability to stream/monitor/measure audio
independently of video

(Once again, general questions about RTP payload formats are best sent to
"avt at ietf.org".)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>