[Live-devel] compression after audio input

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Jul 30 16:09:38 PDT 2004

>I have successfully done streaming voice/audio by a microphone using liveMedia
>with WindowsAudioInputDevice.
>Now I look for any way to compress the voice/audio before streaming.
>Is there any refrence about this issue?

You can do this by writing a 'filter' class (a subclass of "FramedFilter")
that would compress the audio - using an appropriate codec.  You would then
use an instance of this class in the data chain: between your
"AudioInputDevice" and an appropriate "RTPSink" (i.e., appropriate for the
codec).

The "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code currently does not include any codecs
(although there's a good chance that we'll be providing support for some
specific codecs as a value-added service sometime in the future).  At least
for now, you will need to implement your own encoding filter.

For example, to compress and stream the audio using MP3, you would use

(Windows)AudioInputDevice
         -> [your-MP3-encoding-filter]
                 -> MPEG1or2AudioStreamFramer
                         -> MPEG1or2AudioRTPSink