[Live-devel] VLC: RTCP bug?

Cavalera Claudio Claudio.Cavalera at icn.siemens.it
Tue Jun 1 18:58:30 PDT 2004

Hello,
I've found a strange behaviour when I use VLC to open SDP files.
I think this problem is related to live.com so I write it here.
It concerns RTCP Receiver Reports, if the SDP files contain a lines such
as:

m=video 40000 RTP/AVP 96

VLC assumes that it should send RTCP Receiver Reports to UDP port 40001.
AFAIK that should just be the UDP port to which VLC will receive RTCP
Sender Reports from the streaming server.
AFAIK the server is free to choose any source UDP port to send RTCP
from, so VLC should be able to send RTCP back to that source port after
it receives the first RTCP packet from there.

I think the problem here is that VLC is not doing any RTSP, so without a
SETUP it has no way to known in advance which RTCP port the video server
will use.
If you think that the video server should use UDP port 40001 as a source
for RTCP, as VLC currently assumes, could you please give me some more
information about that (RFC or links)?

WFR,
Claudio