[Live-devel] vobStreamer and VLC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jun 7 15:43:40 PDT 2004

>I made some tests with the vobStreamer as server and VLC as client.
>I was not successful.
>Some sniffering (with ethereal) on the network showed me, that
>vobStreamer is using RTP Payload Type 32

That's correct.  RTP Payload Type 32 is for MPEG-1 or 2 video elementary
streams.  There will also be an AC-3 audio stream, using the (dynamic) RTP
Payload Type 96.

>Sending the same *.vob stream from VLC Stremaing Server to VLC client
>showed my,
>that the VLC streaming Server was using RTP Payload 33

RTP Payload Type 33 is for streaming MPEG *Transport Streams*.  That is not
how "vobStreamer" works.  (For starters, a ".vob" file is a Program Stream,
not a Transport Stream.  Also, "vobStreamer" demultiplexes the Program
Stream into separate audio and video elementary streams, rather than
streaming the entire Program Stream as a single RTP stream.)

>What have I to do for running successfully vobStreamer and VLC

Using VLC, you should enter the "rtsp://" URL that "vobStreamer" prints out
when it starts running.

Also, don't forget that "vobStreamer" uses multicast, so your server and
client must be on the same multicast-enabled network.  If, instead, you
wish to stream via unicast, then you can use the "testOnDemandRTSPServer"
test program (using a source file called "test.vob").

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>