[Live-devel] OpenRTSP and -r (do not receive)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Mar 8 08:07:22 PST 2004

At 06:29 AM 3/8/04, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I'm trying to use OpenRTSP as a bare RTSP client and I use the -r option
>(in conjunction with -p) in order to use a different application to
>"see" the (video) stream.
>I would like to know if there is a way to use VLC or some other linux
>client to get the RTP stream from the UDP socket and to actually play
>it.

Claudio,

You can do this (I think) by having VLC read a SDP file that describes the
stream.  This SDP file will contain a slightly modified version of the SDP
description that's returned by the RTSP "DESCRIBE" operation.  This
modified SDP description will include specific port numbers for each stream.

Try doing the following:
1/ Run "openRTSP" and note the SDP description that's returned in response
to the "DESCRIBE" command.  Copy this into a file (named, for example,
"test.sdp").

2/ Edit "test.sdp", and note the "m=" lines - i.e.
         m=video 0 ...
and
         m=audio 0 ...
Note that the "0"s here are 'placeholders' for each stream's port
numbers.  Replace each "0" with the actual port number that you want.  (Of
course, if you have both audio and video, than each needs to use a
different port number.  Also, these port numbers should be even.)

3/ Then, run "vlc test.sdp" to play the incoming stream, and (on the same
computer) "openRTSP -r -p" to start it.

I think this will work, although I haven't tried it myself.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>