[Live-devel] liveMedia & gmp4player

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Mar 9 09:42:45 PST 2004

>This following is the debug report obtained on running the liveMedia as a
>streaming server and gmp4player as a client. I tried to pause the stream
>and play it again, but the aggregate pause command failed. It did break
>the streaming of the file, but play could not be resumed and the client
>program closes.
>I'm not sure why the pause command fails. Any help ?

The problem arises because you are requesting the RTP stream to be sent via
TCP, over the RTSP connection.  The RTSP server (in
"testOnDemandRTSPServer") supports this.  However, after it receives the
"PLAY" command (to start the streaming), control of the TCP connection is
passed to the RTP handling code, which means that all subsequent RTSP
commands (such as "PAUSE" and "TEARDOWN") get ignored.

In other words, the RTSP server implementation currently has a limitation
that prevents it from handling commands after the first "PLAY" - when its
streaming RTP-over-TCP.  Fixing this problem is on my 'to do' list, but
it's going to be non-trivial, so I don't know how long it will take for me
to do it.

In the meantime, if you have UDP connectivity between your client and the
server (i.e., no UDP-blocking firewall), you can avoid the problem by *not*
requesting RTP-over-TCP streaming.  There's probably a configuration option
in "gmp4player" to tell it to use regular RTP-over-UDP instead.

>I have added #define DEBUG 1 to the start of the liveMedia/RTSPServer.cpp.
>Does this generate a different debug report elsewhere ?

It causes debugging messages to be output to stdout.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>