[Live-devel] Can't stream an mpeg-2 file

LATIFZAI, EMAL (JSC-ER2) (NASA) emal.latifzai-1 at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 11 10:35:59 PST 2004

HI,

I have downloaded and compiled your program on VC++ 6.0.  I tested it out on
an mpeg-2 program stream test file by streaming it to my own computer, but
unfortunately it didn't work.  I ran the testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer.exe
file and it kept giving me the following output, repeating the last two
lines again and again:

Beginning streaming...
Beginning to read from file...
...done reading from file

When I opened the testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe file, it just spit out the
following output and didn't do anything else:

Beginning receiving multicast stream...

I tried the testMPEG1or2Splitter.exe and it did create an out_audio.mpg and
an out_video.mpg files.  I changed the name of the out_video.mpg to test.mpg
and streamed it using testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.exe but it gave me the same
output as above with the testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer.exe.  The
testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe file gave me same output as above use of
testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe.  In addition, I could at least play the
original test.mpg file just by opening it with RealPlayer but the
out_audio.mpg and out_video.mpg files are not recognized by it.

I thought maybe I had made a mistake and the original was actually an mpeg-2
elementary stream file rather than a program stream file so I used
testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.exe to stream it and testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe
for the client side.  However the result was the same as above.  Except the
testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe file window gave me nothing but these weird
symbols and the computer made this really high pitched sound and locked up.
I don't know what's wrong.  I know that what I'm doing wrong is probably
very simple to figure out but I'm very new to networking and streaming.  In
fact this is my first time working on this subject.  But I would really
appreciate any help you can give me.

Emal