[Live-devel] Can't stream an mpeg-2 file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Mar 16 14:46:36 PST 2004

>But when the clint program
>testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver.exe is started, the output screen spits out random
>ascii characters and the computer makes a high pitched sound.

Remember that "testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver" outputs its received MPEG video
data to *standard output*.  That means that - if you don't redirect the
output to a file - it will go to the console.  That's why you're seeing
'random' data on your console.

So, to get the MPEG video output into a file, run
         testMPEG1or2VideoReceiver > foo.mpg
and then your file "foo.mpg" will contain the MPEG Elementary Stream video
data.

Alternatively, you can run a standards-based media player client - such as
VLC <http://www.videolan.org/vlc/> - to view the video stream.  You can do
this by having the media player open the file "testMPEG1or2Video.sdp"
(which is present in the "testProgs" directory).

>Next I ran testMPEG1or2Splitter.exe on the program stream file and it did
>give me a video elementary stream and an audio elementary stream file.
>However the audio file was empty.

This is because your file was not a true MPEG Program Stream
file.  Instead, it is a "VOB" file (which is similar to a Program Stream
file, except that the audio stream uses the AC3 audio format, rather than
the MPEG audio format).

To stream such a file, use the "vobStreamer" test program (see
<http://www.live.com/vobStreamer/> - *not*
"testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer".  Again, you can use the "VLC" media player to
play this stream (using the "rtsp://" URL that "vobStreamer" prints out).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>