[Live-devel] Re: RTSP without RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Mar 19 15:34:02 PST 2004

>Is there any way that VLC client accepts UDP packets but the communication
>protocol is RTSP.

By "UDP packets", I assume you mean "UDP packets that are not RTP".  (Note
that RTP packets are usually sent using UDP.)

>  In the describe response of server to client I tried changing
>from RTP/AVP to UDP/AVP..but with no success.

No, I don't know of any client (or server, for that matter) that uses RTSP
as the control protocol, but which doesn't use RTP as the data protocol.

If you have your own server implementation, then you should make it use
standard RTP/RTCP for streaming, rather than using some non-standard
UDP-only encapsulation that no client will understand.  (Note, once again,
that the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code includes an implementation of a
RTSP server - for either multicast or unicast streaming - so perhaps you
could use that?)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>