[Live-devel] Re: RTSP without RTP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Mar 21 18:10:06 PST 2004

(First, when replying to a 'daily digest', please remember to quote only
the message that you are replying to, and also use the appropriate
"Subject:" line.)

At 12:44 PM 3/20/04, you wrote:
>Thanks Ross. You have been of great help.
>I have followed your advice and have used the RTSP Server from live.com...
>I have a camera pouring out udp encapsulated mpeg2 data which my program
>after
>RTSP session establishment forwrds to VLC player.
>I am planning to build an RTP packetizer so that VLC player can accept the
>data. However I wanted to know that if I wanted to use "your" RTP packetizer.
>How would I go about it.

If you are running a sensible operating system (e.g., Unix) that represents
input devices as files, then you can do this very easily, using the
existing "testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer" test program as a model, after making
just two minor changes (to "testProgs/testMPEG1or2VideoStreamer.cpp"):

1/ Uncomment the line
         #define IMPLEMENT_RTSP_SERVER 1
2/ Change the value of "inputFileName" variable from
         "test.mpg"
   to the name of your MPEG input device.

This will give you a RTSP server application that streams the input MPEG
video stream using RTP multicast.

If, however, you want to instead stream using RTP *unicast*, then you can
use the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" test program as a model.  (Again, replace
"test.mpg" with the file name of your MPEG input device.)

(If your operating system does *not* represent input devices as files, then
you have more work to do: You will need to write your own "FramedSource"
subclass that encapsulates your input device.)

For more information, see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#liveInput>

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>