[Live-devel] live.com streaming libraries and mobile phones

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Mar 25 10:02:58 PST 2004

>My fault .. I want to create a live stream using the library that will be
>viewed from the phone over the Internet.

As far as I know, '3GPP' uses the open standard RTSP/RTP/RTCP protocols for
streaming, and uses the MPEG-4 video and AAC audio RTP payload formats,
which the LIVE.COM code also supports.

So, it should be possible to run the LIVE.COM server code - e.g.,
"testOnDemandRTSPServer" - to serve MPEG-4 audio streams or AMR audio
streams, and receive/play these streams on a mobile phone.  This is
assuming, of course, that the phone doesn't use some sort of separate
authentication mechanism to ensure that only 'approved' streams can be played.

However, the LIVE.COM server code currently does not yet support streaming
from ".mp4" or ".3gp" format files.  (Once again, support for these file
formats could be added, if someone wishes to provide funding for this.)

But generally, I know of no reason why a stream served by a LIVE.COM
RTSP/RTP server could not be played on a '3GPP' mobile phone.  If someone
has such a phone, and is willing to try this out, please let us know what
you find.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>