[Live-devel] m2v streaming packet loss

Alexandre Pinot alexandre.pinot at zslide.com
Wed May 26 18:01:07 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to use the Live.com code (from the common.cpp sample) to
receive a m2v video stream from a live server.

I am using MPEG1or2VideoRTPSource as the packet source, but I do not
receive all the data sent. I'm losing about 30% of the packets. However,
MPlayer plays the same stream fine. As I'm streaming locally I'm not
sure why I get such a high packet loss with my client code.

I also tried to activate the 'useTCP' option to fix this packet loss
problem, but then I received too much data. About 30% more than
expected. I think that there are some extra headers and checksums
inserted in the stream before each slice. If I save that stream as raw
from my client, VLC cannot read it (some artefacts appear on the movie)
but MPlayer can.

Is there any explanation for the high UDP packet loss? How can I compensate?
What about the TCP stream? Should I implement some specific code to
remove the extra data and rebuild the original stream? Is there a sample
of such code?

Thank you for your help