[Live-devel] changelogs & patches

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Nov 16 10:30:58 PST 2004

DJ,

The important thing to realize is that - unlike other open source projects
which start out as hobbyist and/or student projects - the "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" code is a commercial product, that happens to be open
sourced.  While I can't stop people from keeping their own, old snapshots
of the code (e.g., for including in Linux distributions etc.), if people
come to the LIVE.COM web site for the code, I really want them to have the
newest, best version of the product (rather than getting an older, possibly
buggy version).  And if someone asks for help, it's much easier if I know
that they are working with a new version of the code (that might have
already fixed the problem that they are asking about).

But anyway, if people submit patches to the code, and they're working from
a slightly out-of-date version of the code, then that normally won't matter
- the patch will probably apply even to the newest version of the code, and
I'll accept it anyway.  Unfortunately, though, the recent "RTSPClient"
patches (for Kasenna support) happened to come at a time when the code was
undergoing other significant changes (at my end).  So, there was
necessarily going to be a little bit of pain to get all the changes merged
together.  Fortunately we seem to have gotten past that now.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>