[Off-topic] Re: [Live-devel] Request Headers in RTSP:SPEED Speed-upDelivery

erick.van.rijk at philips.com erick.van.rijk at philips.com
Wed Nov 24 08:54:56 PST 2004

You're right, I'm sorry I ever asked :D

"Dermot McGahon" <dermot at dspsrv.com>
Sent by:
live-devel-bounces at ns.live.com
Please respond to "LIVE.COM Streaming Media - development & use"
        To:     "LIVE.COM Streaming Media - development & use"
<live-devel at ns.live.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Erick van Rijk/EHV/PDSL/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        [Off-topic] Re: [Live-devel] Request Headers in

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:03:13 +0100, <erick.van.rijk at philips.com> wrote:

> BTW where does the expression "red herring" come from? If I remember
> correctly herring is a fish, right?

It is often impossible, at this point in history, to definitively track
down the etymology of phrases such as this. This is usually because the
reason behind the phrase made sense at the time it first came into use,
but does no longer. Only the phrase and its meaning remain.

Anyway, here is an attempt to explain this one. I suspect you will be
you ever asked.

live-devel mailing list
live-devel at lists.live.com