[Live-devel] disabling RTCP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Nov 29 09:39:57 PST 2004

>I've noticed problems of performance in BasicTaskScheduler::SingleStep()
>on PocketPC platform because of the time passed in
>RTCPInstance::incomingReportHandler() when RTCP Sender Reports are read
>from the corresponding readable sockets.

Do you have any more details of this?  Because RTCP Sender Report packets
are so small, and so infrequent, it seems unlikely that their reception is
the real cause of your performance problems.  Perhaps your OS's
implementation of "select()" is broken, so that the code thinks that the
RTCP socket has newly readable data when it actually doesn't (so that the
subsequent read from the socket ends up blocking for some period of time)??

>I'm thinking of providing a new method in MediaSubsession to deInitiate
>RTCP reports reading/sending operations (i.e. by just closing the
>fRTCPInstance member). What do you think about it ? Should I report you
>this change so you integrate in the next version of liveMedia ?

No - such an addition is unlikely to be generally useful.  Note, BTW, that
the information in RTCP Sender Reports are used for audio/video time
synchronization.  If you disable RTCP, then you won't be able to
synchronize audio and video.

The real solution is to fix whatever problem in your OS is causing your
performance problem.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>