[Live-devel] Patch to RTSPClient to support Kasenna RTSP

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Oct 19 18:27:18 PDT 2004

Hi Ross,

Please find attached, a patch, mostly against RTSPClient.cpp,
which allows for both standard RTSP/RTP, and RTSP Kasenna/RAW
UDP when specified.

After much discussion with Derk-Jan Hartman, we now understand
the Kasenna setup quite well and have a plan to support it for
vlc. For MPEG-4, the video server takes standard RTSP and responds
with SDP. For MPEG-2 it is an older implementation, but as MPEG-2
is widespread, it would be good to have support for this.

The approach DJ is taking is to parse the sgimb metafiles which
are available from http:// links on the server. They tell whether
the content is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4.

A new command line argument has been added to vlc (--rtsp-kasenna)
which can also be used to differentiate between the two dialects.

When a non-standard RTSP MRL is detected or specified on the
command line, an extra parameter is passed in to modify the
behaviour of RTSPClient::describeURL and RTSPClient::setupMedia
Subsession.

The x-rtsp-mh returned from the video server in the case of MPEG-2
is translated into a simple SDP.

I have re-written my original patch, which was used with mplayer,
but which used #define SUPPORT_KASENNA_RTSP, and not ideally had
the effect of making the library only use the Kasenna style RTSP.

If you accept this patch, both standard and Kasenna RTSP will be
possible.

Warm Regards,

Dermot McGahon.