[Live-devel] Patch to RTSPClient to support Kasenna RTSP

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Oct 20 10:14:22 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:31:48 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman
<hartman at videolan.org> wrote:

> I'm noticing you implemented this slightly different than I had
> anticipated. In my understanding it is possible to set an option on the
> RTSPClient object when you create it. This eliminates the need for
> changing the DescribeURL method etc, which would keep the API unchanged.

There isn't really a way to keep the API completely unchanged. The
information has to be passed one way or another.

The options, as I see it, are:

  (a) Pass a flag to describeURL, setupMediaSubsession. The flag has a
      default value of false, so it is fully backwards compatible.

  (b) Pass a flag to createNew. Store it as a private variable. Use it
      in exactly the same way as option (a). Perhaps this is a better
      way to do this.

  (c) Change the applicationName (UserAgent) string passed in by the
      client. Strip off the market, set the private variable flag. It
      would work but for some reason I don't like this solution.

They are all much of a muchness DJ. I really don't mind how it is
done.

I had taken for granted that Ross would rework the patch (or ask me to),
if he wasn't happy with aspects of the patch.

Dermot.