[Live-devel] Patch to RTSPClient to support Kasenna RTSP

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Oct 20 07:47:36 PDT 2004

>So, modifying createNew will not help vlc. Both vlc (general use) and
>my application can work with the flag passed to describeURL and
>setupMediaSubsession. With auto detect on the DESCRIBE, some VOD servers
>might choke on the SETUP

I think you mean "DESCRIBE", right (because that's what contains the
"Accept:" line)?

>  and MPEG-4 content won't work correctly with
>vlc in general use .. although again a flag could be passed in :)

I'm not sure I follow this.  For MPEG-4 content, even from a Kasenna
server, the "Content-Type:" returned in a "DESCRIBE" response will
presumably be the proper "application/sdp", which the RTSPClient code can
recognize as meaning: Do the normal RTSP protocol from here on.

I think we all agree that modifying createNew() is off the table.  The only
question now, in my mind is: Will doing auto-detect based on the "DESCRIBE"
response work?  I.e., if the "Content-Type:" in the response is
"application/sdp", do normal RTSP processing; if the "Content-Type:" in the
response is "application/x-rtsp-mh", do the Kasenna bullshit
processing.  If this can work, then this is what we should do, because it
will make all RTSP clients (not just VLC, but also things like "openRTSP")
work transparently, without the need for special parameters telling the
code, in advance, that the stream is 'Kasenna bullshit'.

The show-stopper issue here is:

>(a) The application/x-rtsp-mh would have to be permanently added and
>     DJ is fairly certain that this will break some VOD servers.

Let's find out if this is really the case.  I.e., if the "Accept:" header
in a "DESCRIBE" request is
         "Accept: application/sdp, application/x-rtsp-mh\r\n"
(Note the order: "application/sdp" appearing before
"application/x-rtsp-mh"), then
         1/ Does this break any known RTSP server (that does proper RTSP)?, and
         2/ Do Kasenna servers handle this properly, returning - in their
response - an "Content-Type:" header that contains "application/x-rtsp-mh"
for their hacked MPEG-2 streams, and "application/sdp" for everything else?

If the answer to 1/ is No, and the answer to 2/ is Yes, then we should be
able to do the hacked Kasenna processing based on the "Content-Type:"
header returned in a "DESCRIBE" response.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>