[Live-devel] Patch to RTSPClient to support Kasenna RTSP

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Oct 20 18:43:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:28:32 +0200, Derk-Jan Hartman
<hartman at videolan.org> wrote:

>> I don't think so, because (b) precludes the possibility of ever using a
>> single "RTSPClient" object to do more than one "DESCRIBE": one using
>> normal RTSP; the other using Kasenna.
>
> i don't see why this would be desirable for anyone. at least not anymore
> then ease of VLC use or RTSP compliance.

Do you not need this for playlists that contain a mixture of kasenna mpeg2
urls and other standard rtsp urls?

> And i consider (a) a bit of a messy solution..

Is that the only objection :)

Two defaulted, fully backwards compatible, flags. Fully functional patch.
Working standard RTSP. Working kasenna RTSP. Everyone (in theory) should be
happy!

> And if you don't send the proper DESCRIBE, VLC might return with a SDP
> for an MPEG2 stream which is completely bogus (tested this). And on
> MPEG4, you NEED to send sdp contentype request, yet you cannot know if
> it's MPEG4 or MPEG2 here unless you tell the RTSP client this.

So you agree the patch is the only way to go? We can't even do the retry
on DESCRIBE because of the bogus SDP.

> I though that something like :
>          psz_options = p_sys->rtsp->sendOptionsCmd( psz_url );
>          if( psz_options )
>              delete [] psz_options;
>
> would be the nicest solution but this is not up to me of course.

What does this do?

Dermot.