[Live-devel] RTCP (including "BYE") receiving issues

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Fri Oct 29 12:43:40 PDT 2004

FYI, I just rebuilt and ran "openRTSP" on Windows XP, and confirmed that it
does, indeed, receive RTCP packets, including "BYE" packets - *if* the
server sends BYE packets (see below).

(Windows XP's built-in firewall asked me if I want to allow the application
("openRTSP" in this case) to bypass its firewall; I said "yes".)

If you're still having trouble running "LIVE.COM Streaming Media"
applications on Windows, then make sure that you're building the code
correctly - see <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/#config-windows>

At 07:03 AM 10/29/04, Derk-Jan Hartman wrote:
>I saw something about BYE. i just wanted to say that since I added the
>BYE callback in VLC, i tested this on a QTSS rtsp unicast VoD session,
>and the callback was not triggered. I doubt QTSS doesn't sent a BYE

Actually, it turns out that QTSS (aka DSS) *doesn't* send RTCP "BYE"
packets when it finishes streaming a file - at least, not for the
DSS-served streams that I tried today.  (Other RTSP servers - including the
LIVE.COM RTSP server implementation - do send a RTCP "BYE", however.)

So, RTSP clients should not use RTCP "BYE" packets as the sole mechanism
for determining when to quit.  They should also use the 'end time' in the
SDP "a=range:" attribute (which the LIVE.COM code reports in the session
"playEndTime()" member function).  (I notice that VLC uses this.)

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>