[Live-devel] LiveMedia for multiply thread streaming server

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sun Sep 5 13:38:06 PDT 2004

>today, I'd like to write a streaming server that
>supports rstp protocol.

Are you aware of the existing RTSP server implementation that's built into
the library (and the "testOnDemandRTSPServer" application that demonstrates
this)?

>  It likes that live media is
>not thread-safed. Is there a method for streaming
>multiply source with live media.

See <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/faq.html#threads>.  Note, however, that
the existing RTSP server implementation *can* stream multiple sources
concurrently, but using an event loop - rather than separate threads - for
concurrency.

When using the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code, you should be familiar with
the event-driven programming, and understand that an event-driven
application can perform at least as well as one that uses threads (unless
you're actually running on a multiprocessor, in which case it's usually
simpler to have your application consist of multiple processes (not just
threads) - one running on each processor).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>