[Live-devel] two processes using the library

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago at remotevideo.com.br
Mon Sep 20 16:24:29 PDT 2004

> Both processes on will be on the server side in my case. One will be
> taking care of the TCP part (DESCRIBE, SETUP and so on) communicating
> with the client and the other will be sending the data to the client
> (the RTP part which is UDP). In the mean time the two processes are
> communicating through a proprietary protocol which is UDP. There are not
> threads but different independant processes.

I guess Ross will have to answer the above part... I don't know if Live will
let you do that :(
I'm also kind of newbie to RTP/RTSP, I kind of just use it and it works
*smile*

> According to what you say i should not have a problem. But since my two
> processes are communicating will it be ok for me? They do not use live
> to communicate.

Yeah, provided Live will allow you to do that without changing it's
internals... :(

> I also want these two processes to be tied to one stream. So each stream
> will be depending on them. If i shut down the stream they will also shut
> down. Which means there have to be something to make the relation
> between these processes using live. And i think this is where i will be
> in trouble. Is that right?

Upon connection on the TCP part you could then fire up the other process.
There is an article somewhere in the msdn.microsoft.com just about that, in
case your platform is Windows.
Under windows lookup for CreatePipe(), DuplicateHandle() and CreateProcess()
Under unix you could use inetd (or something like that) to start the second
app as the first tries to connect to it, but I really don't know how inetd
works :(

Regards,
   Thiago A. Corrêa