[Live-devel] Delay between frames

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Apr 6 14:34:22 PDT 2005

>I would like to understand why there is a delay between the frames sent.
>Sorry, if I am asking something stupid! I was wondering if the delay is
>based on Network Bandwidth, ensuring package delivery properly.
>
>Comment in MultiFramedRTPSink::sendPacketIfNecessary:
>// We have more frames left to send.  Figure out when the next frame
>// is due to start playing, then make sure that we wait this long before
>// sending the next packet.

No, the delay is simply to ensure that the media streams at its natural
(i.e., proper) rate.  This is expecially important when media is being
streamed from a file.

E.g., if you're streaming a 192 kbps MP3 file, you don't want to stream it
as fast as you can; instead, you will want to stream it at 192 kbps.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>