[Live-devel] SIP Server

Bernhard Feiten Bernhard at feiten.de
Thu Apr 14 08:46:20 PDT 2005

Dear Emiliano, dear Ross, dear all,

I'm also developing a SIP server for live.com (derived from the RTSPServer.
First version is already running,
I will study your code and integrate in my code.
My code is also quite simple so far. It uses also the Call-ID to initiate or
find the appropriate subsession.
The client port is parsed from the SDP from the INVITE command.
The stream is started in the ACK.

One question is how to name the stream. "sip:hostname/streamname" is not
compliant with SIP protocol.
Our idea is to use sip:streamname at hostname. Each stream is handled like a
user. The stream then can als be registered in a proxy. Are there any other
ideas?

Other problems appear when wishing  to control the stream.
E.g. to put the stream on hold. A proposal would be to do a REINVITE with
client port set to zero.
With this also the audio and video could be paused seperately.

Another issue we want to study is the session transfer to another client
terminal.
The REFER commands handles the handover on terminal level. The server will
get another INVITE from the other terminal. As the Call-ID is identical (or
should be made identical), the server can identify the subsession. The idea
is to redirect the RTP streams to the other terminal then. Do you think this
is feasable?

Best regards,
Bernhard