[Live-devel] RTP packet size

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Apr 19 09:07:27 PDT 2005

At 03:27 AM 4/19/05, you wrote:
>  I am using the RTSP server for RTP (video) streams on
>low bit-rate links (such as cellular data networks). The
>problem I am having with the LIVE library is that the dimension
>of the packets is too small at low resolution. For example, a stream
>at 100 kbps contains many packets with only 20-30 payload bytes.

What RTP payload format(s) are you using?  I.e., what type of packets
(i.e., what codec) are the packets that contain only 20-30 payload bytes?

(I hope you're not referring to RTCP packets.  Those will be about the size
that you mention, but they're infrequent (occurring only once every few
seconds on average), and should not cause you a problem.)

>(moreover, I am using IPv6, thus the IP header is 40 bytes...)

That I don't understand, because the LIVE.COM code currently doesn't even
support IPv6!

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>