[Live-devel] How to add the H.263 video stream to the server?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Apr 20 11:43:14 PDT 2005

> > What you're forgetting here is the *data source* object(s).  You will need
> > to create a data source object that delivers discrete H.263 video
> > frames.  If your data is coming from a file, then you will need (i) a
> > "ByteStreamFileSource" (instead of a "MP3FileSource"), and (ii) a
> > "H263plusVideoStreamFramer" (this is a new class that you would need to
> write).
>
>     I have worked on that for a few days. Here, my dada is just coming
> from a file,
>"ByteStreamfilesouce" can be used directly .A can you tell me what is the
>use of
>"H.263plusVideoStreamFramer" class which you want me to creat.

The purpose of this class is to deliver discrete H.263 frames.  I.e., for
each call to "getNextFrame()" (and thus "doGetNextFrame()") on this class,
the data that gets delivered to the caller must be a *complete* H.263
frame, only.  (That's why you can't just use a "ByteStreamFileSource"
alone, because that has no way of knowing where frames begin and end
(because they vary in size).

>    By the way, I know that Mplayer and VLC use livecom lib on rtsp part ,and
>it can work very well on the two players. The livecom lib becomes more and
>more popular.
>But mplayer has meet some patent problems , and VLC meets the same prolems
>recently. I am anxious to know is there any patent problems in  livecom lib?

No.  Any patent problems that might arise in MPlayer and VLC would be
caused by their use of *codecs* (i.e., audio/video decoding/encoding
software).  However, the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code does not contain
any codecs.  Instead, it implements RTSP/RTP streaming on already-encoded
data.  RTSP, RTP etc are open standards, standardized by the IETF and
described (for free) by RFCs, with no known patent issues.

This is a reason why the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media" code does not contain
any codecs (and why it is licensed under the LGPL, rather than the GPL, so
that anyone who wants to use proprietary, licensed codecs with it can
legally do so).

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>