[Live-devel] Adding new feature to Live.com : OnDemandMulticast

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Apr 26 11:42:02 PDT 2005

>we have added some classes to Live.com. You can find this files attached
>to this mail. This add allow to client to request OnDemand multicast
>stream through RTSP. All client requesting the same stream get the sema
>SDP description and will share this stream with the first client. New
>client who requests the same video after some delay (given to the
>createNew function as a parameter) gets a new instance of the video on a
>new RTPSink (so a new RTCP instance and a new SDP description) and so
>on...

Achraf,

That's an interesting application - a video-on-demand service that takes
advantage of multicast, but making multiple requests that arrive within a
short period of time use the same multicast stream.

>Basically we have added these classes :
>    OnDemandMulticastServerMediaSubsession
>    FileMulticastServerMediaSubsession
>    MPEG2TransportFileMulticastServerMediaSubsession

It's good that you were able to implement this by defining new subclasses,
rather than by modifying the existing code.

I'm not sure yet if I'll add this to the released LIVE.COM source code
(because it's for a rather specialized application), but if others are
looking to do something similar, they should find your work useful.

Thanks for letting us know.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>