[Live-devel] NIC overruns on IBM stbx25xx embedded platform

Richard Flude richard at mediamatch.com.au
Thu Apr 28 13:23:46 PDT 2005

> Apparently, on Linux, you need to do both: set
> "/proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max", *before* calling
> "increaseReadBufferTo()" in your application.

Unfortunately still no improvement. I'm tempted to believe the packets
are being dropped by the stb nic before they're read by the kernel. Is
there anyway to test this?

>> Is it practical to reduce the rtsp server's burst rate to a value the
>> MVP can handle
>
> Well, of course, that makes sense only if the RTSP server is one that
> you have control over.  In general that's not going to be the case.
> So the best solution is to ensure that you have appropriate buffering
> capacity in your client.

You are absolutely correct, however after weeks of trying everything I
can think of, reading way more than anyone should on the issue, and
posting to the MVP forums I'm still in exactly the same position
(10-14% overruns RX errors). I'd like to get to the position of
successfully playing a DVD between my server and client on my LAN.
Perhaps by releasing a working version to the MVP & Live.com
communities someone might solve the client buffer overrun issue where I
have failed.

If I was to look at smoothing the video packet bursts from a server
written using the live.com libraries (say
testMPEG1or2AudioVideoStreamer), any ideas of where to start?

Thanks again for all your help

Richard