[Live-devel] WM RTSP support for live streams

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Aug 23 22:25:54 PDT 2005

On 23 aug 2005, at 20:13, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> I would like to support WM rtsp streams. However, it's M$, so they
>> made a couple mistakes along the way :D
>
> Ugh.  As most streams from WM servers will use MS's proprietary
> codecs, would VLC even be able to play such streams??

On windows it will.

>> Implementing this in itself (in MediaSession.cpp) isn't a problem,
>> however I would like to ask you how/where I should implement the
>> recognition of the server (i gather in RTSPClient.cpp). (Server:
>> WMServer/9.1.1.3814) Where do you want me to add the fMicrosoftRTSP
>> flag basically :)
>
> Look at where the "fServerIsKasenna" flag is defined and set.  I'd
> define and set a "fMicrosoftRTSP" flag the same way.

Well I had made this guess already, but serverdetection needs to be
passed from RTSPClient to MediaSession. And as far as i can see there
is no way to do this with liveMedia. Unless I define it in UsageEnv
(which is dirty), or pass it like Kasenna in the constructor, but
that would make implementing support for this specific to the
liveMedia user. I'd rather have it autodetected. I also thought of
correcting the endtime after the MediaSession is created (for
instance on the first SETUP call), but there is the potential of the
endtime already have been queried from MediaSession by the
application before the SETUP call is issued.

I guess i should have made this situation more clear. That's why I
was asking in the first place.

DJ