[Live-devel] Real-time Video Viewing

David Arnold darnold at futurec.net
Thu Dec 8 09:31:40 PST 2005

Ross,

Thanks for your response.  I found the vlcrc file and set the "rtsp-caching"
variable to "10", which did help.  But, after a few seconds of viewing, VLC
starts to spit the following message several times:

"[00000304] main video output warning: late picture skipped (45684)"

At a later point, this message is seen:

"[00000276] ffmpeg decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video ->
dropping frame (computer too slow ?)"  At which point VLC completely stops
presenting the frames, but the LIVE555 server continues to stream.

When I don't set the rtsp-caching variable I don't see these messages and
the stream can be viewed in VLC with no problems, except the 2 second delay
(due to caching).

I realize this might be more appropriate for a VLC discussion list, but I
figured I must be doing something wrong in my FramedSource derived class.
Could this be a problem with how I'm setting fPresentationTime?

I'm just trying to understand what's causing this problem.

Thanks again,

Dave Arnold
Future Concepts