[Live-devel] MPEG-4 in MPEG2-PS

Leon Woestenberg leonw at mailcan.com
Mon Dec 19 18:44:39 PST 2005

Hello Scott,

Scott Hays wrote:

> Thanks, Leon.  I've gotten it to work more or less myself after
> hacking the MPEG-2 Program Stream demuxer and parser classes.  I'm
> not sure I would have had to do any hacking if the MPEG-4 data inside
> had included the VS and VO headers.  Anyway, after all that work, we
> decided that we want to remultiplex the MPEG-2 PS stream to an MP4
> file as it comes from the encoder anyway because MPEG-2 Program
> Streams don't seem to be very good for anything other than straight
> playing (they're not really good for efficient "trick-mode" playing).
>
> Thanks for the resp

Ah yes, now you triggered my mind again (without out me having a chance
to review our own code base); we had our MPEG-4 VES encoder insert VOS
headers. I find your remark on trick-mode playing a bit ackward, as I
understand DVD players use MPEG-2 PS as well (not that I know if this is
efficient or not).

But assuming you are on a good path, this question remains: converting
the stream to a file, is this done in real-time, or offline before any
client listens in to the stream?

We are also interested in revisiting this path, but without any proxy or
repeater inbetween, and I would be glad to learn from other people's
experiences and work in this area.

Regards,
Leon.