[Live-devel] fDurationInMicroseconds

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jan 24 21:58:15 PST 2005

>It seems as if fDurationInMicroseconds is not being calculated for some of
>the RTPSources, at least for audio codecs.

Yes, to date I've been a bit lax about setting "fDurationInMicroseconds"
for "RTPSource" subclasses, for a couple of reasons:

1/ For "RTPSource"s, it isn't really needed, because any client that reads
from a "RTPSource" doesn't really need to know how long each incoming frame
lasts - instead, it just waits until the next incoming RTP packet arrives.

2/ For some "RTPSource"s, computing "fDurationInMicroseconds" for incoming
RTP packet data would be non-trivial.  E.g., doing this for MP3 data would
require parsing the MP3 header bytes - something that otherwise isn't needed.

>Where should this parameter be set, for example in streaming WAVs?

If you were to set "fDurationInMicroseconds", you'd probably set it in the
same part of the code where you set "fFrameSize".

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>