[Live-devel] stripping jpeg headers

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Mon Jan 31 11:07:55 PST 2005

>I understand from previous activity on this list that JPEG frames need
>to be delivered to the JPEGVideoRTPSink without headers. Doing some
>research, though, I see that JPEG doesn't have formal headers, and I'm
>not entirely sure which of the 7 or so informal headers I've come
>across need to be removed. Could someone please point me to an
>information source where I might find some more information on this,
>particularly if it clearly states what bytes I should be scanning for,
>in order to get rid of the unnecessary info? Thanks a lot.

Jeremy,

The JPEG header begins with
         0xFF 0xD8
(this will usually be at the start).  It ends with
         0xFF 0xDA <size>
followed by <size>-2 bytes, the last two of which should be
         0x3F 0x00

All of these bytes, up to and including the 0x00, form the JPEG header, and
so should *not* be included in the data that's delivered to the
"JPEGVideoRTPSink".

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>