[Live-devel] Re: Re: Problem about on-demand unicast live streaming m4v

worm520 worm520 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 17:22:57 PDT 2005

This time, I change some default encoder setup and the result differs
from the previous. I propose the experiment as follows and hope these
helpful:

Setup items:
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame = Insert config headers (VOS/VOL/GOV) per I frames
PRATE                    = number of sequential P-frames to encode

Part I testMPEG4VideoStreamer

Setup 1.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	False
PRATE			     -1 (One I-frame and all P-frame)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play       smooth         smooth
Stream out to file   very smooth

Setup 2.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     -1 (One I-frame and all P-frame)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play       lag               lag
Stream out to file   very smooth

Setup 3.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	False
PRATE			     0 (Only I-frames)

Results:
Player		         VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play        smooth         smooth
Stream out to file    very smooth

Setup 4.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     0 (Only I-frames)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      No display      lag
Stream out to file  N/A

Setup 5.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     5 (one I-frame per 5 P-frames)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      more lag       lag
Stream out to file  smooth

Part II testOnDemandRTSPServer

Setup 1.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	False
PRATE			     -1 (One I-frame and all P-frame)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      No dispaly     No display
Stream out to file  N/A

Setup 2.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     -1 (One I-frame and all P-frame)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      No dispaly     No display
Stream out to file  N/A

Setup 3.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	False
PRATE			     0 (Only I-frames)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      No dispaly     No display
Stream out to file  N/A

Setup 4.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     0 (Only I-frames)

Results:
Player		        VLC                  QuickTime 7
Real-time play      No display (gray)    lag
Stream out to file  synchronization lost

Setup 5.
cfgHdrPerIntraFrame 	True
PRATE			     5 (one I-frame per 5 P-frames)

Results:
Player		        VLC            QuickTime 7
Real-time play      more lag       lag
Stream out to file  smooth

Summary.
If an application needs both multicast and on-demand unicast
simutaneously, it should set its encoder cfgHdrPerIntraFrame=True and
PRATE>0 to achieve more compatibility and acceptable display. Of
course, this experiment may only apply to my encoder (Equator BSP-15).
If anyone has other test result, please reveals it. This should bring
some help.

BR.
Worm